The Washington Football Team has hired Florida State standout and longtime NFL executive Martin Mayhew as general manager.
A Tallahassee native who played football and ran track at FSU from 1983-87, Mayhew has been in the NFL for 20 seasons. He spent eight years with the Detroit Lions as GM and returns to Washington, where he was a star defensive back from 1989-92 and won a Super Bowl.
Mayhew will report to coach Ron Rivera, the team announced on Friday.
“Martin is a proven general manager who will bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the organization,” Rivera said in a statement. “He will be an integral part of running the daily football operations and will allow me the opportunity to focus more on coaching. He impressed both myself and Mr. Snyder during the interview process and we both believe he will be a tremendous fit here. He is a man of high character and integrity and was part of the rich history and tradition of this great franchise as a member of the Super Bowl championship team in 1991.”
Mayhew spent the previous four seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, most recently as the club’s vice president of player personnel. He held the position of senior personnel executive for the franchise from 2017-18. Mayhew assisted first-time general manager John Lynch and was a major contributor for a personnel department that was vital in the team’s Super Bowl appearance in 2019.
The 55-year-old Mayhew was under consideration in 2008 when FSU hired Randy Spetman as athletics director.
Mayhew graduated from Florida High and also has a bachelor’s degree from FSU, where he ran football and track. In football, he had 187 tackles and five interceptions. On the track, he often ran the 100 or 200 meters and also was part of the relay teams.
He later earned his law degree from Georgetown.
MAYHEW FOOTBALL TIMELINE
- 2021: General Manager, Washington Football Team
- 2019-20: Vice President of Player Personnel, San Francisco 49ers
- 2017-18: Senior Personnel Executive, San Francisco 49ers
- 2016: Director of Football Operations/Special Projects, New York Giants
- 2008-15: General Manager, Detroit Lions
- 2004-07: Senior Vice President and Assistant General Manager, Detroit Lions
- 2003: Senior Vice President of Football Administration/Staff Counsel, Detroit Lions
- 2001-02: Senior Director of Football Administration/Staff Counsel, Detroit Lions
- 2000: Labor Operations and Legal Intern, National Football League
- 1999: Personnel Intern, Washington Football Team
- 1993-96: Cornerback, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- 1989-92: Cornerback, Washington Football Team
- 1988: Cornerback, Buffalo Bills
Comment on this story on the Osceola’s message board