Florida State’s football game with Wake Forest on Saturday has been canceled as the Seminoles are shorthanded on the offensive line, the ACC said in a statement.
“Earlier today, Florida State informed the conference office of a positive test, subsequent quarantining, and contact tracing resulting in Florida State having an insufficient number of available offensive linemen as outlined in the ACC Medical Advisory Group’s COVID-19 game discontinuation considerations,” the ACC said in a statement.
The Osceola has learned that with the cancelation of the Wake Forest game the season is over and players have been sent home for the holidays. While FSU had not been offered a bowl game, the decision was made to end the 2020 season.
FSU players had been on campus since June or July and did not return home during bye weeks or the 28-day break between the NC State game and home game last weekend vs. Duke. That was among the major factors in the decision.
The Seminoles played last Saturday against Duke with just 50 scholarship players on the school’s official participation report while also using walk-ons like tight end Preston Daniel and Treshaun Ward.
FSU will end the season at 3-6. The Seminoles lost scheduled games against Clemson, Virginia and Wake Forest.
The ACC reported it has played 85 of its scheduled 96 games this season.
Comment on this story on the Osceola’s message board